Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2018

A Golden Key for our Lifelong Journey

C.S. Lewis calls change our “golden key” to unlock treasures on our journey in life. Since we all are still very much in-process, we must change if we are to grow and not settle. My Christian life began by stepping through a gate by faith, leading to an upward journey (Matt. 7:13-14), with twists and turns and plateaus.

Later on my journey, I came to another narrow gate where God posed the same question: “Will you trust Me in this ‘crisis of faith’ or settle for the broad pathway?” If the answer is “yes,” we push through the gate and continue to ascend on our journey. If “no,” the pathway winds back for a while on a broad path until we find ourselves at the same gate again. I’m a pragmatist. A loving, patient God does not back off necessary change in me. Life is easier if I say “yes” the first time instead of going through pain again.

Every “crisis of faith” includes endings of good things we wish to hold on to and a time of transition before getting to the better new beginnings. You will shortly learn that good things can become enemies of the best. And God never allows too much in our lives, even when it feels like it (1 Cor. 10:13).

On our journey, how will we know which choices to make to keep in step with the Spirit? Let me give a three-fold lens. First, Jesus is the Model Man, the Second Man (1 Cor. 15:4). Do what He does.
 
First, Jesus is the Model Man, the Second Man (1 Cor. 15:4). Do what He does.
  • Forgive others as Jesus forgives us (Eph. 4:32).
  • Accept others as Jesus accepts us (Rom. 15:7), although accepting does not necessarily mean approving all they do.
  • Love others the way He loves us (1 John 4:19).
  • Show mercy, not judgment, like Jesus does to us (Jm 2:12-13).
Second, Jesus instructs His people to treat others like we would like to be treated (Matt. 7:12). Ask, “How would I like another to treat me in a similar situation?” Then treat them with a similar respect and care.
Third, in 1 Corinthians Paul gave the 1st century believers four questions as general tracks to run on in “grey areas.” In these questionable areas, we make choices where no clear Scripture directly applies. Paul begins with our vast freedom in Christ, not limitations.
  1. All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable (1 Cor. 6:12a). Ask: Is the choice beneficial for me/others?”
  2. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by anything (6:12b; 10:23a). “Will I be brought into bondage?”
  3. All things are lawful for me, but not everything builds up (10:23a). “Does this choice build up me and others?”
  4. “Will my choice accurately reflect God’s glory?” (1 Cor. 10:31).

This is Reflection #28 in my book, Foundation Stones. I also have a web-site with tools, books and "more than Bible studies" that have helped me to live out of this spiritual DNA, www.JimFredericks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment