Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2018

Mind the “Gap”

God birthed a passion within me to become more like Christ.


I wanted it immediately! I had not learned that God calls me to be an oak tree, not a weed that springs up overnight. So this longing to become like Christ clashed with my realistic appraisal of where I was on my journey. As an example, at first I saw Christlikeness as five feet high, and my life as six inches. Then as I grew towards twelve inches, I focused on Jesus and realized that now I saw Him as 100 feet high. I grew, yet the “gap” widened between Jesus and me since I was learning more about Him.
 
My melancholy streak and perfectionistic bent spiraled me down into discouragement since the “gap” continued to increase the more I grew. So at first for me, the “gap” was a big-time discouragement (especially when others noticed it). Several years later (yes, I can be a slow learner!), I learned that God uses this “gap” as motivation. I learned to “bounce well.” So no doubt lingers that the God who launched this great work in me will keep at it and bring it to a flourishing finish, closing the “gap.”
 
Aligning our lives with our design is the most powerful motivation in life. And pruning is crucial for growth (John 15:2) to become more like Jesus. Our design and a crucial part of our destiny. I wonder what would happen in my life and in yours if we really knew ourselves the way God knows us. In Christ, the True Vine, God’s divine power and love has given us everything we need for life and godliness (2 Peter 2:3-4).
 
And also a battle still rages in our lives in this process of growing more like Christ (yes, life is full of Both/And/And tensions). Since Jesus suffered in His body, we are encouraged to arm ourselves with the same mind-set Jesus had (1 Peter 4:1-2). Not as a martyr or a masochist, but to free us so our lives might be lived for God’s will, the longing of our heart.
 
All Scripture is God's invitation into fuller life in Him.
 
God’s prohibitions warn us of what violates our creation-design. James graphically describes this downward spiral as we allow our evil desires to control us (James 1:14-15). And God gives His commands to show us how to draw near. As you read the NT, notice the very graphic moral sections and remember that God always has your best at heart.
 
This way to view life (worldview or mental map) contrasts sharply with what the world says. Society wants to squeeze us into its cancerous mold. By contrast, God intends to renew and transform our minds over time. Saturate ourselves with His view on life (Rom. 12:2; Eph. 4:23), and respond, especially when God’s Word cuts across the grain of our flesh. However, this takes consistent, intentional effort on our part to ingest God’s Love-letter in a way that encourages a quick response, which in turn releases fresh life. What is your plan to soak in Scriptures?

This is Reflection #17 in my book, Foundation Stones. I also have a web-site with tools, books and "more than Bible studies" that have helped me to live out of this spiritual DNA, www.JimFredericks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment