Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2018

We Become What We Behold


Early in my Christian life I identified what needed to be changed inside me, and prayed that these weak areas would be changed. The more I prayed, though, the worse they seemed to get! For instance, as I prayed for God to take impatience away from me, it seemed that my impatience increased. I also realized that as I prayed against the faults of others, I began to take on their bad traits. Plus our relationship deteriorated.

Gradually God taught me that we “become what we behold.” And I’m one grateful man! Instead of praying for what needed change, I identified and prayed for the positive trait God could grow in my life to push out the negative (often relating to the nine-fold fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5:22-23). Philippians 4:8 taught me to focus on positive traits in others. What a change! Much later I realized the basis. When God created humanity in Genesis 1 and 2, He designed us as worshippers. God’s good design draws us toward whatever we fix the affections of our hearts on. God originally designed us to become more like Him as we beheld Him in awe and worship (2 Corinthians 2:17-18).

Then the Fall in Genesis 3 fundamentally changed us (compare Genesis 1:26-28 w 5:3, in God’s image vs in Adam’s image). However, God’s built-in design that “we become what we behold” remained intact. It’s just as sure as gravity that we become more like whatever we focus our heart on. The bottom side of a quilt is a jumble of knots, but what beauty from the top side. Which side do we behold? Add to this: when we come to Christ, the world has already squeezed our minds into its mold and our minds must be transformed (Romans 12:2). The world since the Fall is upside down, and often values what has little true value.

Jesus taught His followers that the way up is to descend; the way to live is to die; the way to have is to give; we save our lives by losing them. Jesus turned the world right side up (God’s perspective in Isaiah 55:8-9). No wonder such a crucial aspect of our growth depends on devouring God’s Word so our minds are transformed.

Keep this firmly in mind and a number of confusing issues will find a resting spot…but not all. That’s why I have a “Deuteronomy 29:29 Bucket.” After wrestling with these paradoxes of Scripture (appear to be a contradiction), I throw them in my “bucket,” waiting for further insight. Because God is the unlimited Creator and we are His created, it makes sense to me that God could not reveal everything to me. When I see what is beyond the ability of my pea-brain to decipher, I worship (Romans 11:33-36)! I’m thrilled. My God is beyond my ability to fully comprehend. If I understood it all, God would be no wiser than me, not big enough to handle my problems.

This is Reflection #21 in my book, Foundation Stones. I also have a web-site with tools, books and "more than Bible studies" that have helped me to live out of this spiritual DNA, www.JimFredericks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment